- this applies to you who have Business Travel Insurance
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs' (UD) travel advice is the basis for whether you can travel to a country with valid travel insurance, and whether the insurance includes cancellation of the trip. The map is updated continuously when the Ministry of Foreign Affairs publishes which countries it is advised against traveling to.
Valid travel insurance in the EU, Schengen and the UK
From May 27th. you can travel with valid travel insurance to both yellow and red countries in the EU, Schengen and the United Kingdom. The insurance is valid for both vaccinated and non-vaccinated, and will apply as usual, even if you should be infected with corona on the trip.
Please note that the travel insurance does not cover additional expenses in connection with:
- Denial of entry or quarantine obligation upon entry as a result of foreign authorities' guidelines. For example, inadequate documentation, quarantine obligation as a result of not being vaccinated, high infection pressure or mutated viruses in Norway.
- The entry quarantine when you arrive in Norway.
Travel to countries outside the EU, Schengen and the United Kingdom
- The travel insurance is valid if the country / area is yellow on the day of departure. If the area changes to red on the trip, the insurance applies to the entire trip.
- The travel insurance does not apply to trips that start when the area is red. The insurance also does not apply if the area changes to yellow when you are traveling.
- There must be an evacuation advice from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the travel insurance to cover evacuation from an area that goes from yellow to red while you are staying there.
- The insurance applies to transit in a red area, when you travel from one yellow area to another. The transit in the red area must be without accommodation and in accordance with Norwegian and local authorities' guidelines. For example, a stopover at an airport in a red country is ok and the travel insurance is valid.
- The insurance applies to travel where the Norwegian authorities have decided on exceptions to the quarantine when you return to Norway (for example, a day trip to a holiday home in Sweden to perform strictly necessary maintenance and inspection).
- The insurance does not cover additional expenses in connection with refusal of entry or quarantine obligation upon entry as a result of foreign authorities' guidelines. It also does not cover the entry quarantine on arrival in Norway.
Cancellation of trips abroad
- The travel insurance covers cancellation to all countries the Ministry of Foreign Affairs advises against traveling to at the time of departure. It is assumed that the trip was paid for while the country was marked yellow in FHI's map. If the area turns red and it is not advisable to travel 72 hours or less before departure, we will reimburse the expenses that the airline or tour operator is not obliged to reimburse according to current rules.
- If you pay for a trip to an area that is red, the travel insurance will cover cancellation of the trip if, for example, you become acutely and unexpectedly ill after the area has changed to yellow.
- The travel insurance does not cover cancellations of trips that are paid for when the area is red. This applies even if the area you want to travel to has lifted the ban on entry.
- The travel insurance does not cover cancellations of trips to yellow countries where you have to be quarantined on arrival due to the infection situation in Norway.
- Cancellation of travel due to fear of infection or entry quarantine in Norway after a stay abroad is also not included.
Business trip information
Once the insurance is taken out by the company, we cover the company's employees on necessary business trips to all countries, and it is up to the company to assess what is necessary. Employees who travel on necessary business trips will be covered by the insurance terms in the usual way - also for expenses for necessary medical treatment that arise on the business trip, including any COVID-19.
If the insurance also covers holiday and leisure travel, private travel to «red countries» will not be covered. Private trips to countries that are yellow on the departure date are covered in the usual way, even if the country turns red while you are out. But then the traveler must count on the quarantine when returning to Norway, and bear the disadvantages and costs of this.
Cancellation of leisure trips in Norway
The travel insurance applies as usual to domestic travel, and cancellation of leisure travel is covered if the cause is own illness. Up to and including August 31st. 2021, we have extended the coverage to include cancellation of leisure trips if you are in a mandatory quarantine on the day of departure.
The quarantine imposed must be as a result of close contact with a confirmed infected person, and must be able to be documented by the municipal health service. This extension applies to travel that should have started from January 1st. 2021.
If you have to cancel a prepaid leisure trip in Norway as a result of illness or government-imposed quarantine, contact the tour operator for rebooking or cancellation of the trip. The infection quarantine must be available on the day of departure, and the cancellation insurance covers what you have paid before the infection quarantine began, and which you will not be reimbursed by the tour operator.
Cancellation of travel due to entry quarantine after a stay abroad, fear of infection or the authorities' advice to avoid travel is not covered.